I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Without pie there is only chaos.

So its another red letter day in my world. Mind you every day I'm still alive is a red letter day for me. Life is short and nasty.... blah blah blah. Today I was a TA. Actually I was taught things by the students, so I was a really bad TA, but nevertheless, I'm paid and I don't get marked, so even if I suck I win. The class is all about crystallography.. U of C is one of the few remaining schools where the geology program requires it. I learned none of it. The simple truth is that you can determine anything you want to know about a rock sample very quickly and easily using X-ray diffraction and an electron microprobe.... so only people actually studying optics need crystallography. Or if, perhaps, you like doing optical microscopy to an extremely high degree of precision during power blackouts. I know it costs $ to use the machines... but its cheap. I mean like $25 per hour (researchers) cheap. And plus they do lots of other useful things like tell you exact compositions of minerals. Enough geo ranting.

I finally found the nearest beer store and stocked up on Sleeman cream ales... they're not the best but they're probably my favourite non-import. Some imports seem to lose a lot in tranportation too (eg Newcastle Brown Ale: amazing on tap, rubbish from a can). Nevermind this stuff is pretty smooth and easy to drink.

I'm bored and really really don't think that reading any more papers on isograds and P-T-t paths will kill the boredom. More than anything I just want to get out and do some field mapping. I'm good at it and it is my most favourite thing to do in the whole world. Maybe a job with the GSC is my best career option... they only hire PhDs now but thats only 6 or 7 yrs away...

I leave my adoring fans with some quotes...

Women are like elephants, I like to watch them, but I wouldn't want to own one.
W. C. Fields

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.

Billy Connolly

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.
Emo Philips

Holding meetings near electricity pylons is dangerous. Just because it sounds a bit like pie-lon, doesn't mean there's hot and tasty fun to be had. Remember, only a dick plays with mr. electricity.
(weebl and bob episode: egg)

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all the people some of the time, which is just long enough to be president of the United States.
Spike Milligan

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Carl Zwanzig

Apparently, 1 in 5 people in the world are Chinese. And there are 5 people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother Colin. Or my younger brother Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin.
Time Vine

And as you walk about the streets of whatever place you live, remember that there are two types of pedestrians. The quick and the dead.

That's enough. Someday I'll probably quote the goon show or some python too. Now running low on beer again... why is the gas tank always at the E?

Cheers mates.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

I disagree. Without pie there is only ice cream.

6:24 AM, January 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMMMmmmmmmm... Sleeeeeeman's... Watch out- empties pile up fast! I finally took my inventory to the redemption centre and was able to pay this month's rent with the proceeds... well... maybe that's a slight exaggeration...

In other news... you REALLY need to kill the WC Fields quote. Come on!!!

But where is the ambiguity? It's over there in the box.

8:09 AM, January 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grum, you need to find a hobby. I am sure that in a city that large there are some fellow beer drinker, and at least that way you will not be drinking alone, for only an alcoholic drinks alone, otherwise you are just a social drinker who doesn't know when to stop. Cheers, enjoy the booze and get more!!

9:07 AM, January 13, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home