I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Friday, January 13, 2006

By Bluebeard's Nunchucks!!!


Greetings again.

I thought I'd say a few words about this blasted election, but its all been said. And since few among you will disagree with me, it would all be very self-affirmatory but not very productive. And by this time (three pints down and two regulars), I really don't feel like spending the mental energy. Rather, I'd like to go to bed.

But first I'd just like to respond to some complaints that I've received. Firstly, I don't necessarily share the views of W. C. Fields, but that doesn't prevent me from finding his quote very funny. (hahahaha women are like elephants!) Also my roms are not, necessarily, illegal, since they are no longer being made. I believe copyright law allows the redistribution (although not for profit) of copyrighted information if it is no longer available for purchase. Thirdly I point to weebl and bob (again) for support in that without pie there is, in fact, only chaos. The world has known pie for quite some time, and before its invention life was chaotic. There were empty pie dishes and pie-less people everywhere, and that made for a lot of chaos. I would also assert that ice-cream is a more recent invention than the pie (or at least is certainly only recently readily available in the stead of pie), and that therefore if there had been no pie earlier than the times of ice-cream (but while pie was generally available), there would have been only chaos. And finally you are not a drunkard unless you drink before the sun goes over the yard-arm. That usually happens at about 4 pm, but I suppose it also depends on where your ship is in the world, which way it is oriented, and where exactly your yard-arm is. And if you're in the high arctic in the summer and the sun is up all day but low, then you'd better drink all the time. Its they only way you'll enjoy being unable to sleep in the perpetual sunlight.

Ok, comments mostly dealt with. Except to say to the SSGL, get knotted you surface scum suckers. Find some REAL rocks to look at. Rocks that'll take chunks outta your face when you smack them with the hammer. You guys use the most wimpy rock hammers ever. Like 1 lb and with a scratchy end so you can carve your name and romantic interests in your samples. Losers. Our hammers have to be 4 lbs at least and we need several chisels to retrieve one decent chunk of rock. If we wanted to carve our names we'd have to use precious gems... you guys could use your teeth without doing any damage. You also couldn't tell the difference between a quartz-plagioclase-amphibole granulite and a gabbroic intrusive to save your lives. You also most likely drink coolers, or guinness (which is only 4.5%), or maybe apple juice. Not that I'm knocking apple juice though. Its damn good stuff.

Ok that's enough drunken sedimentologist bashing for today.

Oh yeah... if you've never basked in the glorious aura of Bubb Rubb I suggest you do so, here.

The whistles go whooooooooooooo!!!

And there's a lot of garbage on the net (eg pic above) referring to this stuff. But its just fo' decoration yo.

Cheers.

5 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

Hahahahahahhaha! I greatly enjoy the drunken sedimentologist bashing... not that I actually understand most of it. Hmmmmm... oh well. Still amusing. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Go Bubb Rubb!

11:14 PM, January 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A gruanulite is a fine-grained metamorphic rock often banded in appearance and composed chiefly of feldspar, quartz, and garnet. A gabbroic intrusive is unlikely to have any garnet in it. Gabbro is often coarse-grained, too.
Our hammers are not "wimpy". They are stealthy. What do you think Tim Robbins used in The Shawshank Redemtion. A sledge hammer??
Plus, WE get all the ladies because we can carve their names in our rocks, instead of taking out chunks of our faces.
We hope a mud slide rolls over your house and lithifies.

SSGL

2:57 PM, January 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey!! *I* like Guiness you know! Just because these SSGL people are smarter than you doesn't mean you should knock an excelent drink.

3:19 PM, January 14, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no particular comments about this Blog, other than that i have actually read it. My advice, don't take any guff from the anti-elephant feminists, envious geologists and especially Joe....if they really give you a hard time, just post a Blog soundly condemning them!

Keep up the Blogging! But remember.....I'm watching you!

3:55 PM, January 14, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

To the SSGL: HAH!! you are incorrect. Granulite, by definition, has no banding or metamorphic textures. This is because it is so high grade that minerals that typically show these features have been metasomatised. It is true that gabbro is coarse grained.. that's what makes it tough to distinguish from granulite, which is also typically coarse grained. I then ask you what do you do when there is no garnet in the granulite? In the Shawshank Redemption our hero would have escaped far quicker had he been able to use a 4 lb maul and chisels. Obviously these were not feasible tools. I would also like to point out that sedimentary material makes up less than 1% of the volume of the Earth, making you far less important, by volume, than metamorphic and igneous geologists.

7:53 PM, January 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home