I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Grum's Stories of the Field Part 2


So hello again grumfans.

Yes I am posting twice today because I am bored.

Joe has pms. Well he calls it "perfect man syndrome", but I prefer to just call it pms without further explanation. We were discussing what women want in a perfect man. I suggested that he should be able to chop wood and raise cattle. Joe suggested it was raising wood and chopping cattle. I agreed. We then agreed that women have no idea what they want and that our many skills of chopping and raising both cattle and wood are wasted on them. The truth is women are crazy and we'll never understand them. Mind you so is Joe, but he's the happy kind of madman, who gets far more delight out of chopping cattle than he probably should. Go Joe! Oh yeah he also helped me park the rav in the garage sideways some months ago, see above. Yes we managed 360 degrees. Its a small (and wonderfully fun) car, and a big garage.

Ok time for the second harrowing episode of grum's tales of near death in the field. This time: Overloaded helicopter versus Downdrafts by a ridge.

Ok so this was, again, the first of the two seasons i was a field assistant. The guys had sent me back to Revelstoke early with approximately 300 kg of rocks, to save on helicopter space for when they were extracted three days later. So it was me, Matt the pilot, five or six buckets full of rock samples, food and propane for the girls from Carelton University, and my personal gear in the Bell 206 Jetranger. The plan was to drop off the food and propane to the ladies at their camp, before heading home. They were camped on the lee face of a ridge on Mount Thor, about 30 km south of Revelstoke. For those unfamiliar with a 206, they are small and cannot carry much weight. For those unfamiliar with helicopters in general, they are flimsy and lightweight, and easily pushed about by the wind. So Matt was clearly unhappy about 300kg of extra mass to begin with (every single time he's extracted us he eyes the buckets of rocks critically). So we approach their camp, and just as we get below the top of the ridge and are preparing to set down, I sense the subtlest of sways in the copter, nothing that alarms me. I am busy watching the girls waving at us. I completely failed to notice that we had been shoved towards the ground by a serious downdraft whipping over the ridgetop, a situation which Matt cannot remedy by trying to rise due to the extra mass. To my great surprise he suddenly jammed the stick into his left thigh and the copter fell, sideways, across the ridge. We levelled out and (with no embellishment at all) he put the body of the copter between two trees as the rotors went over their tops. This clued me in to how much altitude we had lost so suddenly. I looked at Matt. He apologised over the headphones and explained what happened in a commendably calm voice. He was quite clearly sweating. We landed further downhill away from the dangerous ridgetop and the girls, who'd had a perfect view of all of it (including the sudden drop which I had not noticed), came over to check we were ok.

I didn't clue in until well after we had reached Revelstoke and I'd got back to our house of lodging how close we had come to smashing the fragile aluminium aircraft all over Mount Thor.

All's well that ends in the well. Or something.

Don't miss tomorrow's thrilling installment, when we almost get killed by falling boulders at the end of a long hard day. To prevent stress in this stress-filled world, which inevitably causes irritability, hernias, drinking, and finally death from cirrhosis of the liver, I can let you know that nobody is killed, and in fact the only injury suffered is a dislocated pinky finger, which was soon fixed (with shock and awe). To maintain some sense of suspense, the details of exactly whose pinky finger becomes dislocated will remain a mystery. It is thought that this is a safe level of stress.

Cheers y'all.

6 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:08 AM, January 17, 2006

 
Blogger jenn said...

You're a goober. That's all that can be said at this point. And so is Joe, and his 'pms'.
Please continue... I'm quite enjoying the written versions of your harrowing experiences in the mountains...

9:10 AM, January 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a little explanation is in order, to avoid me looking like an arrogant jerk. Well...more so than I normally do, I mean.
We were talking about one of our profs, who apparently has short-man-syndrome (sms); I suggested Grum has tms (mmmm... donuts) as he is rather tall. He said he was aware of this and was figuring out the best way to stomp all over the little people. I'm just kidding of course. Grum's a decent guy who only scares bears and helicopter pilots. And so, I was trying to think of an acronym to use for myself, and as I am the perfect height for everything, pms seemed in order. Though it's not much of a syndrome...maybe I should just be PM ;)

6:51 PM, January 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...one more thing: I demand that everyone park sideways in their garages now. Grum and I managed that in one swift motion, thanks to Grum's incredible amount of experience driving his GT snowracer and playing Porsche Unleashed, and my incredible weight-transfer abilities (where I hang off the side of the car and then nimbly leap to the other at key points during the turn). I expect most of you will instead have to do 16 or 20 point turns to get your cars sideways, making you exceptionally late for all of your appointments. Most of you will likely give up and start walking everywhere instead, which will be nice for the environment, but bad for the oil exploration geologists and their cute children. So I suggest you all leave one car parked sideways and buy a bigger older car that wastes tons of gas, because no one wants cute children to suffer.
By the way, I have never chopped live cattle, and I really don't understand women, though I don't think the two are interrelated.

7:42 PM, January 17, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graham, this was by far my favourite post to date. I loved the picture of the car, and if I didn't have a minivan, and 2 one-car garages, I'd give it a go. Joe and his pms made me laugh, which is always a good way to start the day. And really, who doesn't love a helicopter death story.

7:51 PM, January 17, 2006

 
Blogger shannon said...

graham i will admit that i have no appreciation for chopping wood OR cattle.

the perfect man is... tall and dark and from europe, rich, normal, pervy of course, my bitch, likes dogs, does not chop barn animals, is slightly less prissy than me but not by much, doesn't like to eat steaks, likes to do dishes, is not a police officer or a fire fighter, is smart but not a bitch about it... yeah that's all i can think of right now. note chopping is not on that list. maybe you should allocate more of your resources to the qualities above instead of chopping various items :D

please note that i am only 79.25% serious

9:00 PM, January 17, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home