I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

footwear collection, thoughts on beauty, and tactical training.

I swear all my footwear is entirely functional; I only have 8 pairs here. Sandals, flip-flops, court shoes, winter-type sneakers, good shoes, winter boots, backup hiking boots, and new hiking boots. The 9 pairs (sandals, winter boots, court shoes, sneakers, winter-type sneakers, work boots, beat-up sneakers (for lawnmowing), and two pairs of flip-flops) back home in Fredericton surely don't count.

I don't spend time thinking of shoes, nor do I gasp in amazement when I see a pair of shoes. I buy what I feel I need. But all this has raised some philosophical thoughts in my mind. I know many people buy shoes simply because they find them aesthetically pleasing (absolutely nothing wrong with that); I don't feel like that about any shoes I've bought, but I do see beauty in their functionality. Especially with my new utterly awesome hiking boots. I appreciate most of my shoes' ability to do what they're designed for effectively. Functional beauty and aesthetic beauty are not exclusive from one other. For example finely tuned exotic sports cars are often both gut-wrenchingly gorgeous and more literally gut-wrenchingly good at their abc's*.

I have no idea what I've been rambling about or what the point is.

I biked 14 km this evening to pick up my firearms safety manual; Erik found a place offering the non-restricted firearms safety course over one day. Prior to this it seemed we'd be unarmed since I couldn't find a course offered in time. But while I was away, he found this one-day course at the "International Tactical Training Academy". So I am to receive "tactical training", which will (I assume) enable me to replace people like Worf and Tuvok as a Tactical Officer. The course is all day. I guess we go over the safety and then practice firing some weapons. Maybe there'll be paintball. Anyway the upshot is that we be packin' heat this summer.

This has been another weird and disjointed post from grum. We now return to your regularly scheduled doldrums. Oh but comment first. I like comments.



* accelerating, braking, and cornering

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps it will be just be a bunch of dangerous gun nuts giving these safety lessons intermingled with discussions of the patriotic duty to be armed....we'll see....

6:48 AM, May 27, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it will be along the lines of 'capture the flag'. There will, of course, be both red and blue teams, and you will all be given M16 rifles. The teams that captures the other's flag gets their safety certificates first.

2:33 PM, May 27, 2006

 
Blogger Thérèse said...

*clears throat*

Point of clarification:

Some people (I) may buy shoes that are aesthetically pleasing, but I never buy shoes that are so uncomfortable I cannot walk or go dancing in them. There is getting used to something (i.e. height), but then there are shoes that are just badly made and hurt within the first 5 minutes of wearing them.

That's just plain silly.

12:13 PM, May 31, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home