I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

pros and cons

Things that are good right now:
-My bike has been fixed and should be ready in about an hour.
-The next episode of Top Gear starts in 1 week, 23 hours, and 22 minutes.
-The weather is nice (overcast but good and warm).
-My field season begins soon.
-I will soon be done everything for this term of school.

Things that are not good right now:
-My bike won't be ready for at least another hour.
-The next episode of Top Gear doesn't start for another 1 week, 23 hours, and 22 minutes.
-The weather could be nicer (not overcast).
-My field season has not begun.
-I am not finished yet for the school term.

Being the incurable optimist that I am, the pros definitely outweigh the cons here.

I've realised recently that I'm an optimist to an extreme. Not in how I think things will turn out (eg. experiments, hockey games), but in how I perceive people and situations. It's not a conscious thing, I dunno why it is. Whenever I meet any person I immediately find the things about them that are positive, and generally ignore the rest (unless it's criminal or sthg). This inherently gives me deep respect for every person I meet (regardless of age, social status, etc), which is difficult to deal with at times (there are a few exceptions). This has got me labelled naïve, or a suck up. That I am a suck up is not correct. I treat everyone with this same deep respect, profs and classmates alike, and my enthusiasm for what I study leads me to converse with profs about it, which has been interpreted incorrectly (it was hilarious in field school since most ppl seemed to understand that, and everyone got a label from this particular character). Regarding naïveness... sure I was. And to some degree still am and will always be, but not as much as it may seem to some. However, I'm not stupid; I am aware of much. It's not correct to confuse optimism for naïvety and pessimism/cynicism for realism/experience. Anyway I think I may be all together too nice.

However in this case, the pros definitely outweight the cons; I'm always happy because I find the guilded linings to the worst situations. My satisfaction with life is through the roof. And nobody can complain about me being "too nice" without sounding petty.

So I'm not gonna change. I don't even think I could if I wanted to. I like being happy and enthusiastic; although I'm running out of words to convey my enthusiasm (awesome, fantastic, terrific, brilliant, excellent, sweet.... errrrrr... suggestions?)

Well this is an uncharacteristically deep post. Especially compared to the last few.

To quote The Cheat: meh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm moved...you have had a great awakening, a very introspective experience that has led you to discover deeper meanings...meh....

9:06 PM, April 29, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home