I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Greetings loyal subjects.

I apologise that you haven't had a note from your king in some time, but I've been very very busy. Taxes, nserc forms, becoming a member of APEGGA, looking for apartments, dealing with course stuff, preparing for labs, reading, writing letters, meetings, and particularly geothermobarometry have been taking up my life this week.

And I still haven't sent Joe his birthday present. I'm really sorry Joe, I swear it'll be with you soon!!!

APEGGA is the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta. I was not really interested in becoming a member at first, but then I saw that it allows me to stick the letters P.Geo ("professional geologist") after my title and degree, and more importantly I may get a sweet deal on car insurance as a member, to the effect that owning a car might just be a possibility. I just need to fill out an application form and stuff, and then apply to a certain insurance company that has this deal with APEGGA. In any case I wouldn't get a vehicle until after the field season.

The weather has been awesome here for the last five days or so. 6-8 degrees every day and sunny. The rabbits are out again, in force. I saw four last night near my house, and they're starting to develop brown colour on their backs. That or they'd been rolling in all the mud. Biking on Sunday was ridiculous... I went into the park for the first time (on bike), and spent three hours fighting through the most horrendous sticky mud ever. It was so sticky that it increased the diameter of my tyres by several centimetres, such that it was being peeled off by the forks and the frame, and the brakes. This stickiness also stopped it from flicking up at my coat, so my coat is still clean. My pants, socks, and shoes are not, but they're all old and I don't care. It took half an hour to clean the bike when I got home.

My tellular cellaphone stopped working for no readily apparent reason on Saturday afternoon. I'd been speaking on it that morning and it hadn't left my desk. It's fine in all respects except that it gets no reception. I took it with me biking, in case a tower was down or something, but from the top of the hill with a panoramic view of the city there was still no signal. Took it back to the store Monday night. The surly clerk threw it into a bag to send it off for fixing, and gave me a crap replacement. It's bulky, heavy, low tech, and has no scheduler (I may be screwed). I'm liable for a totally mind bogglingly ridiculous $400 if I lose or break it. It's not worth a tenth of that. What a fucking scam. Ten days I'm stuck with it at least. So it's staying at home. I'm not bringing it out with me at that alleged value.

BAH! enough ranting/complaining. Good day to you my people.

5 Comments:

Blogger León said...

hey, if i got straight what you wrote... i feel the same way when my cellphone has no signal...

Rabbits?... i only see rabbits when i go to the mountains, i live in a valley...and there's a lot of people, traffic,noise, etc...

Have a great day...

I feel kinda weird when i post you a comment,'cuz we haven't been introduced each other...(gah..!! I hate my English...) so i hope you are not offended if i post comments on your blog... but there's certainly a don't-know-what thing on your words that makes me be focus on your "speech"...

good day :)

4:21 PM, March 29, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Crap!!! I was just about to give up on all this geology crap, but now that I know I can get reduced insurance premiums, I'm sticking with it! For now, I think you should use "Pro G." on your business cards-until you get the official "P. Geo." certification.

Sounds like a rabbit infestation. Be sure to set up some traps. Any kind will do, I imagine (rabit, bear, tiger...whatever). Though if you happen to actually catch a tiger, I want him back. He responds to the name "Tigger", and also to "ow! my arms!".

That mud sounds terrible!! Are you sure that was a park, and not, say, an abandoned latrine?

That sucks about the cell. I guess that low/no reception is a pretty common problem with cellphones. From what I can see, the best way to increase your signal level is to shout the things you did during the day in a public area. Libraries seem to be best.

Anyway, keep up the good work oh noble one. Don't forget to: flush, wash, see your supervisor, call your mother, and send me my blasted present!!!!
Cheers

9:45 PM, March 29, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grum, send Joe his present!!!!!...and call your mother....

10:02 PM, March 29, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...which will be more difficult with your pnone issues.....stupid surly service attendant.....

10:03 PM, March 29, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and always remember what is best in life.....To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you , and to hear the lamentations of the women!

10:04 PM, March 29, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home