I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Ceilidh

I went to the geology dept Robbie Burns day Ceilidh last night (yes yes yes a month late). It was great fun with lots of scotch, scottish dancing, and of course haggis. There was a live celtic band playing (who have been doing the geol dept ceilidh for 15 years running) and a piper too. Basically I was there to finally meet some people, since it was the first social event for the department since I got here. Thus I didn't drink much. The event was an hour's walk away; luckily I got a drive home. I hadn't meant to walk the whole way, but while I was walking not one single bus with a number that could get me there appeared. Probably because it was snowing heavily so they were all behind schedule. Made the walk quite nice though.

I'm out of food basics again, like beer. Also milk, bread, margarine, cereal, and eggs. So I'm going to the co-op cause I really want some toast right now. Might go biking out in the direction of the Irish Cultural centre just to explore those neighbourhoods. There's so much suburbia out here it's ridiculous. The entire walk last night was suburbia. Every time I've gone biking I just can't seem to get away from it! Except for the three shopping centres and the university, and the corner stores, this whole NW region of Calgary seems to be suburbia. It's huge. Basically the city can be divided into three parts; the commercial district downtown, the industrial district to the east (south of the airport), and everything else, which is suburbia with the occasional mall/shopping centre, university, or park. Oh yeah there's also the native reserve in the southwest, but it's only partly within the city limits. I suppose most cities are gonna be like this, but here I just find it amazing how there's so much housing (that all looks exactly the same) for middle class types.

I watched the simpsons episode where they move to Globex Corporation's Cypress Creek perfect town just now... it's possibly the best one ever. Hank Scorpio is a brilliant character, and I think that the perspective on the typical "bond villan" is absolute genius.

Enough for now. Cheerio mates!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like how the Bond character almost escapes, until Homer trips him up at the candybar machine, and Scorpio's goons machine gun him...you get a small sense of satisfaction to see the bad guy win for a change, even if its just a cartoon parody...I like to cheer for the underdog.....

3:50 PM, March 04, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home