I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Way to go Thérèse!

Therese climbed a mountain. I'm sure that's more than you did this winter. Well, it's certainly more than I did. Although I suppose I could concede that you may each have had your own individual personalised mountains to summit, in some metaphorical sense. But I haven't.

Thérèse... what mountain was it?!! At first I thought Carelton, or Katahdin, but I don't recognise the scenery. Wow it looks awesome!

I had the good fortune to go on a trip to Carleton, organised by Matt Hadley, at Christmastime 2004; we lived in quinzees (essentially snow forts) and snowshoed everywhere (there was a lot of snow at that time). Those who were on that trip or have done a Hadley trip at some point will remember the times fondly. Here's some photos.

This is me by the Disused Mount Carelton Firehouse.


















Quinzees are strong! We are all on top of one here. Back row L to R: Adam Hadley, Troy Yeomans, Me, Louise, Kathryn. Middle: Alex's sister (sorry name escapes me), Matt Hadley. Sitting: Alex Whaley, Pete. Photo taken by Nesha Trenholm. Missing: Ben.

It took me, Troy, and Alex jumping on it before someone punched through.





It had snowed quite a lot while we were there, and on the hike out on the third day the sun was shining on the fresh snow in the trees. It was all very nice. We bushwhacked a hell of a distance (I can't remember the number, but it was a whole afternoon's hiking) to and from the campsite, which was interesting in the snow-filled deep woods.

I now challenge each of you to procure photos from mountains/hills/speed bumps you may have climbed. Except Thérèse, she's done her bit already. I may post photos of some of the other peaks I've reached... but that's for some other time.

Don't forget to suggest band names!

You have my permission to go now. Good day to you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Thérèse said...

Yes well mountain climbing is rather impressive.

(cough)

Ok.

Ok fine. Fine!

So as it turns out, "mountain" is a bit of a strong word. So don't be that impressed. I think it was called East Sister Mountain. Right next to West Sister Mountain. Hill, really.


Those are some really cool pictures, Graham.

My band name suggestions (brace yourself, they're really, really cool):

Pint
Dashing
Falter
Look Underneath the Mob*
For Sake In
Don't Touch That Vase Kimmy



*My favourite.

11:35 AM, February 08, 2006

 
Blogger Thérèse said...

PS. I absolutely love the title of this post. It's brilliant and everyone should have a post titled so.

11:36 AM, February 08, 2006

 
Blogger Thérèse said...

PPS. I also especially love how I am exempted from posting a picture if I don't want to, and don't have to follow the crowd, because, dude, I am the trendsetter here. This time. So cool.

11:37 AM, February 08, 2006

 
Blogger Thérèse said...

PPPS. And I really really like the number of times you said my name. And used accents. Way to go Graham. You rock.

(snicker at punny-ness)

11:38 AM, February 08, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

Well the only reference I could find to any Sisters Mountains in NB is through the department of natural resources mineral occurences page. There's chalcopyrite there. And sphalerite. You are up pretty high in the photo, it's a big hill, but don't shortchange yourself; call it a mountain.

"Look Underneath the Mob" also is my favourite, and "Falter" is also excellent! Stay tuned for contest results, which come whenever I decide the contest is over.

heehee, I thought you'd enjoy the copious amounts of praise and salutation in this post. I try to use accents anywhere they are deserved.. and hence, since your name truly and properly has accents, I use them. Although I forgot in the one I made a link out of. Sorry.

12:15 PM, February 08, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home