I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

All work and no play makes grum a dull boy

Well that title is highly accurate and totally irrelevant; I have become the laziest person in history. Oh I was told it would happen. The first bit of a masters' is generally easy apparently, as we don't have to be done for 2 years. In my case (as indeed it is for many geologists), all I have to do basically this term is read a lot of papers on rocks near my field area, and prepare for a field season. Part 1 is sorta underway, part 2 is 50% complete. By that I mean I've found a field assistant, and all I have to do now is plan the whole summer. Jeez I'm pretty much 99% complete, surely... why the hell am I bothering to even get up today?

And that's kinda the point I've been getting at. Since my last post I have done sweet FA. Slept in till 1 every day, spent my time playing games and watching my downloaded movies and tv shows. I went for a couple of walks because I felt I do need to exercise before all my muscles atrophy and I become unable to open the fridge or even lift a spoon to my lips. Dying that way is, I have decided, the worst possible way to die. Starvation when the food is that close... aaaaargh!

But nevertheless, the slack continues. Give a slacker free reign and nothing to do, and he'll find ways to take slack to a whole new level. This includes spending all day in the dressing gown, not even bothering to cook (and I mean even so much as heating a canned stew), and staying up till 4 or 5 am trying to understand some of the more complicated points of the web (wtf is an NNTP server and how do I find the one provided by my ISP?). Also my room is a horrendous mess. It's full of things like empty toaster boxes and plastic bags, and there are two empty juice cartons sitting beside me. My toaster is full of beer caps. I don't know how they got in there, I haven't had a beer since Monday and I made lots of toast yesterday, at which time there were no beer caps in there. I guess they fell off this desk edge into it. Oh yes and my toaster is indeed in by room on the floor by the desk, because I am lazy and I want to make toast (and butter and eat it) while at the computer. No I can't take two minutes of my otherwise empty day and go to the kitchen to make the toast. My time is important people!!! Sunk has always said how I manage to slack to a ridiculous degree and yet somehow excel, and here there isn't even anything to excel at. Maybe TAing counts.

They say sloth is the mother of invention but I haven't invented anything yet. Maybe I need to give it a bit more time.

Can't today, the reason I'm up 6 hours earlier than usual is that my supervisor is going to teach me how to use an electron microprobe, a device with which I am already quite familiar. Later on we'll be looking at an X-ray Diffractometer, and that will be more useful as I've never even seen one before. These are both devices that cost $25 an hour to use and render the optical microscope obsolete. However, I must still teach the intricacies of its operation to my students.

So after my two learning sessions that last from 9 to 10 and then from 11 to 12 am, I'll be so tired I'll need to come back here and watch more tv shows. Maybe I'll post again. The only reason I haven't been posting is because truly nothing has happened. Some movies gradually came in on Azureus. Oh yeah, and yesterday I changed which port it uses in hopes of getting a faster connection speed, which didn't work. A truly thrilling lifestyle then.

It'll be better when I get to where I'm meant to be... only three months or so to go!

Cheers mates!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do they really say sloth is the mother of invention?....I suppose people are always looking for ways to increase their quota of slack.....

8:51 AM, February 01, 2006

 
Blogger Thérèse said...

It is a little-known fact that it takes skill to learn how to do nothing, and how to fill your days with it without going nuts.

I must say. You seem to be adapting rather well, Graham.

10:42 AM, February 01, 2006

 
Blogger jenn said...

I have no words, other that to say this:

Enjoy it while it lasts, 'cause when the shit comes down, it'll come hard. Trust me.

That said, you have admirable coping-under-pressure skills (a trait that every true procrastinator must possess), so I'm not worried ;)

11:53 AM, February 01, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW...the first post was by me......I partially agree with Jen, it'll come down hard....but a slackers response is sometimes to slack more, as in my case right now (and as i am personally aware you have done in the past)....the lesson is, it may not change all that much, you will just have to be creative with your slacking ways, but not so creative that it becomes unslack to slack....everything works itself out in the end.....don't worry about it, float through life, no ones going to know....

3:48 PM, February 01, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

whaddya mean "sort of"? You don't think I'd be sexy looking like hugh heffner in my big red dressing gown?

I used it for a halloween party once. I had a black bowtie too. And for no obvious reason a black toque. It was all very popular.

8:15 PM, February 01, 2006

 
Blogger Travis said...

how can you be bored... i remember someting about 80 beers that need to be drank?

10:09 PM, February 01, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

i refuse to go drink beers downtown on my own. that would severely suck

10:42 PM, February 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home