I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Life update and Goon Show

---------- pre post ----------
Ok before I get on with the post I gotta tell you about this that I just found this while surfing around. It's hilarious and very fun. GO HERE GO HERE GO HERE!!!

---------- actual post ----------
Wow I haven't posted since Tuesday. This is the longest drought ever. I haven't had much to say really. I been out drinking at a place downtown where I joined a club called the "around the world in 80 beers club". What you do is within 1 year you have to drink one of each of their 80 beers from around the world, and you get prizes along the way. By the end if you do it, you have earned several free appetizers, some wings, a nice beer mug, and a place of honour on a wall plaque along with fellow world beer afficionados.

I helped out with overseeing and then marking a small quiz on Wednesday. It was clearly brutal for some in the class. And why don't people understand that a to draw and label a section through a crystal does not involve drawing a 3D representation of the crystal, or drawing the stereonet, or writing down what you think it would look like, or drawing 16 different diagrams one of which you hope is the right one. No, the whole question was answerable with three lines and a four numbers, drawn in the right places. TAing was much better this week thank god. We were using the microscopes and for the first time I felt I actually knew what I was talking about.

Here's some goon show hilarity for your enjoyment:

This scene is set is in the jungles of Malaysia, where 10,000 british troops have landed, and are bivouacked for the night. Their mission is to make it to Kuala Lumpur where a prototype British rocket has landed. The rocket is designed to deliver tea to British soldiers in battle, the idea being that this will make them virtually invincible. A pair of Russian spies are among them, planning to sabotage the rocket (it's called a jet-propelled guided NAAFI, the NAAFI is a real Brit organisation founded during WWII to supply tea and crumpets etc. to troops). One of them, Moriarty, approaches the tent of the leader of these troops, Major Bloodnok, who is highly unscrupulous. The conversation is carried out very fast, with few pauses, which makes it very funny.

Moriarty: psst! Psssst! Major Bloodnok!
Bloodnok: Oh-hoh! Don't come in my tent yet please just a moment.... [quietly] good night darling I'll see you later. [aloud] Ahem now, errm, come in!
Moriarty: Thank you. Now, Major Bloodnok?
Bloodnok: A civilian! How dare you enter my tent, sir!
Moriarty: But it's the only way I could get in!
Bloodnok: For all you know I might have had some ladies in here! Get out!
Moriarty: Be quiet or I'll tell them who sold those three cardboard tanks!
Bloodnok: What?!! It's all lies! In any case they never paid me! Do you know what happened to me last night?
Moriarty: No?!
Bloodnok: Thank heavens for that. Now then, state your business, sir.
Moriarty: Tomorrow we reach the only jet-propelled guided NAAFI in the world. It must be destroyed!
Bloodnok: What?!! Are you a spy?!!
Moriarty: Yes.
Bloodnok: Then why are you covered in mints?
Moriarty (shouting): I'm a mint spy! [mince pie is a british xmas food]
Bloodnok: Merry Christmas!
Moriarty: I don't wish to know that! Merry Christmas to you too. Now, would you be willing to sabotage this secret, guided NAAFI?
Bloodnok: I'll have you know that I am a patriotic English gentleman, sir!!
Moriarty: And what does that mean?
Bloodnok: It means I'll only do it for money.
Moriarty: Very well. Here is a carbon copy of an imitation hundred-pound note.
Bloodnok: Wait a moment! How do I know this carbon copy isn't a forgeon?!
Moriarty: Look! Look here, here is a life-sized oil painting of me robbing a bank with it!
Bloodnok: But it shows you clean shaven!
Moriarty: I was wearing an invisible beard!
Bloodnok (exclaims): Great malleable lumps of steaming thung!
Moriarty: I apologise.
Bloodnok: You Chinese think of everything!
Moriarty: But I'm not Chinese!
Bloodnok: Then you must have forgotten something. Give me the money.
[cash register cha-ching]
Bloodnok: Ohhh that tune how it haunts me.

That's all for today. Except that in order to prevent you all rupturing something with suspense, I will tell you that the sabotage is prevented, but the guided NAAFI ends up in Aldershot.

I'll write again when I have something more amusing to tell you.

Cheers!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

eeh hee!

7:07 PM, January 27, 2006

 
Blogger Travis said...

awesome!, your posts are soo long, holy crap, it would take me like 4 days to write that much...
i linked you up to my page too.

6:42 PM, January 29, 2006

 
Blogger jenn said...

Awwww... I've heard that one before! Come on, Grum... we need ORIGINALITY!! hehehehe. Just kidding. ;)

ps- how many of the 80 beer have you managed to sample thus far? I can't believe they give you a whole year!

6:06 AM, January 30, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, c'mon Grum! a whole year for 80 beers?? Going by your record of 3.87 seconds (made during your victorious and great Grum vs. Tobin challenge), you should be able to finish all 80 in 5 min and 9.60 secs. In the spirt of keeping you alive however, I will allow you:
- 3 bathroom breaks of 10 seconds or less
- 2 glasses of water
- 47 ambulance rides to the hospital.

Now, get going. The world isn't going to just pour that beer down your throat. Unless you use gravity. Jeez, now that I think about it, astronauts must really hate space... stuck there driking all their beers through straws....

9:46 PM, January 30, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

steve: Agreed.

travis: it does take a long time but my life is sooooo slack right now.

jenn: I know but I love that one.

joe: your comments are brilliantly funny, and you need your own blog. regarding beer in space: I'd just pour (squeeze) it into the air, then float around ingesting beer globules. How would the CO2 bubbles "rise" in a globule I wonder? I suppose they'd just build up inside until they push the globule apart.

10:32 PM, January 30, 2006

 
Blogger jenn said...

Well, I suppose you'll just have to get to space and find out... either that or one of those funky gravity-free devices they use for training at NASA... you've got connections, don't you?

6:27 AM, January 31, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

How did you think I knew about pushing apart the globule?

Shit I've said too much with that.

7:48 AM, February 01, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home