I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

ho hum...

I am blogging because I am supposed to be working, preparing for tomorrow's optics lab. I didn't sleep well last night. In fact I hardly slept at all; my thoughts are a turmoil. At about 4 am I typed up three and a half pages of thoughts to clear my head of them, and it sorta worked. I got to sleep by about 6 o'clock and slept fitfully through my alarm at 7:30. Damn. Oh well I didn't have a meeting or anything, just a lot to do today, which I am now avoiding very effectively.

Before more mountain pics I will provide another bunch of hilarious headlines from the Tonight Show. Although I will pique your curiosity with a list of mountains I have pictures of and have climbed, starting with most recent:
07/2005, Ben Nevis, Scotland, 4409 ft
07/2005, Scafell Pike, England, 3208 ft
07/2005, Mount Snowdon, Wales, 3560 ft
12/2004, Mount Carleton, NB, 2690 ft (snowshoed)
06/2004, Cranberry Mountain, BC, 9423 ft (*from base camp at ~7000)
07/2004, Unnamed sub-peak of Cranberry, BC, 7691 ft (base camp at ~6500)
Note: I have climbed others but have no digital photos to show for it. Also the last two may well be climbed from camps near the peaks but there are no paths on these ones, and they are covered in ice, snow, and rather steep ledges.

Now the headlines you've been waiting for:



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever climbed Mount Khatadin in Maine? I have, but with no pics....its been a while too.....its a good hike, especially since the view when sunny is unobscured by other mountains, and one can see an impressive distance....

9:18 PM, February 08, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

No actually I always wanted to but never did. Sounds awesome though. You can see it from Carleton, if the weather's clear, since that end of the Appalachians is pretty old and mostly eroded away (the main tectonic event was Silurian... I think that's about 450-400 million years ago). The beautiful folding visible in highway cuts near King's Landing is directly related to the orogen.

1:44 AM, February 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home