I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Lots of cool stuff!!!

Okay so another drought of a few days. Sorry grumfans, but I was very busy, and then our internet was down all day yesterday. Few things are more annoying. But all is well as I have shopped today and am now enjoying fresh grapes!

I may or may not have said several posts ago (I refuse to take the time to check) that when Laura comes over she's bringing a fieldbook in which I wrote a load of band names while bored at the dam this fall. Well here's the cream of the crop (in my opinion):
Moot Point
Nosejob
Nine O'clock Noose
Partial Deterrent
Tritium Clan*
Dancing Minions
Perverted Glory
Parsec*
Derailer
Finite State Automaton*
Silent City*
Jagged Hats
Calorimetry Bomb
Acid Basin
* = ones I really like
"Tritium Clan" is my personal favourite. It's pretty much meaningless, but I love the way it sounds.

I would now like to reiterate, with no small degree of amazement, what the folks who run homestarrunner.com point out (very briefly) in the most recent strongbad e-mail: the remarkable similarity between Strong Sad's face and the Manicouagan impact crater in Quebec. It's quite impressive, really. Around the central uplift of the crater is a deep valley, which Hydro-Quebec flooded in the 60s (this ring is not at the edge of the crater, actually it's only about a third of the way from the centre to the rim). It even looks like he's crying! I just noticed that Wikipedia's blurb on Manicouagan also notes the similarity between the crater and Strong Sad. Maybe this was noticed long ago and I just never heard about it until now, or Wikipedia was already updated, which is just as likely.

I bought tools yesterday; a set of hex (alan) keys, a screwdriver set, vice grips, and a bike lock and pump. No power tools to grunt about though. The reason, of course, is that my bike is here!!! It just needs some reassembling and stuff, and should be good to go. And yes, if I get it ready within the next hour or two I will be taking it out for a spin. And probably a good crash since we did get 20 cm of snow yesterday. I am unafraid.

Until next time (if I survive testing my bike), cheers mates!

3 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

Greetings, and congratulations in your latest success in the battle against scurvy!!!

How's the bike? Is it all that you hoped it would be?

I would like to note that naming a band "Parsec", while a cool name, would cement the namer as the biggest Trekkie ever...

I gotta agree with you- Tritium Clan is the best o the bunch.

5:19 AM, February 24, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

Didn't you know? I am the biggest trekkie ever! Voyager was my favourite series, but the best battles were to be found in DS9. I much preferred those two series to TNG, since the characters in the latter were generally unbelievably good natured and moral. There were devious characters in the other series, eg Quark from DS9.

And yet... I don't think that naming a band "Parsec" necessarily identifies the namer a trekkie; they rarely use the term in the show, since a parsec is a measure concerned with measuring the distance to a star using the orbit of the Earth as a baseline (the method was used in the 1800s and early 1900s). One parsec is about 3.2 lightyears. In ST they generally concern themselves with light-years.

1:24 PM, February 24, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah! Jen's right.....a band named Parsec can be interpretted in ONE WAY ONLY! That you are a trekkie band, playing star trek-inspired music. I maintain that the term was created for the show, and later inspired the term to be used in the scietific community, in the same way that some claim (realistically?) that the Star trek communicators in the original series inspired cell phone technology. I am a historian, and you cannot argue with me on this point! Nevertheless, that does not mean that it is a bad band name.

I agree on the Star Trek thing, DS9 was good because of the battles and the shifty characters....Star Trek was always better with explosions than with adhering to that lousy Prime Directive. Picard could have made a fortune by exploiting all the aliens they encountered! what was he thinking!

4:58 PM, February 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home