I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

random and new contest

My obscenely powerful laptop confuses my supervisor with its speed.

It's a long and boring story, but it was kinda funny at the time. Everything worked out in the end. Oh and he gave me a laser printer for free, although the connector cord was somehow lost in transit so I've e-mailed lexmark to ask them for one. This is really ridiculous... I had to pick the printer up, move it about 15 paces from his office to mine next door, then go back for the power and USB connection cords. The USB connector was not there. We both looked everywhere, several times, to no avail. I surmise that it has vanished into the ether, along with my "the matrix" soundtrack and collection of metal pen tops, and many other things over the years. It may be for the best since the cable was frayed and looked like it wouldn't last much longer anyway.

I bought a USB flash key today... 2Gb for $130. It's freakin' tiny. I'm comparing it to a piece of "trident" chewing gum... it's the same length, about 1.5 times wider, and 1.5 times thicker. And that's with the protective "skins" and the cap on. Good thing it comes with a lanyard. No, I don't wear it around my neck as a fashion statement. Although since it's the peak of the tech, I'd surely be the most stylish of the geeks if I did.

There's lots to post about today. I got a hilarious e-mail from Joe that I'll share with you all soon. But I'll allow a day for the complex yet subtle nuances of this post to sink in first.

It has occurred to me that a good new contest would be the following:
What's the most annoying thing you ever lost. It could be annoying because it was of great value (monetary or emotional), or because you had it two seconds before and it vanished, as my printer's USB cable did, into the ether.

Socks are prime media for entering the ether (and are the only known objects to occasionally return from their adventures), I think the heat and whirling action of a dryer is particularly effective at attracting the holes in our universe that allow access to the ether. But the holes are only big enough for socks in this environment (think of the bubbles in a blender full of water; the blender cavitates the water and makes lots of bubbles, but they are small and fleeting). Other suggestions or theories that you've come up with regarding the ether and access to it are welcome. Or choose from this selection of rather star trek-ish suggestions, compiled by me with great scientific rigour, i.e. off the top of my head: Wormholes, mini black holes, galactic-fabric discontinua, temporal flux (a favourite), subspace rifts, or eddies in the space-time continuum (yes, but how did he get in there?...). Oh and I suppose the book and concept of "The Borrowers" can explain this, but that's hardly science. Jenn's suggestion some weeks ago of "sock gremlins" (was that it?) is certainly worthy of note. Perhaps these gremlins dwell in the ether. Maybe Eddie himself is a gremlin.

Thus Ends Transmission.

PS "Galactic Fabric Discontinua" would be a fantastic band name.

7 Comments:

Blogger sheep#100 said...

The most annoying things I have ever lost are brain cells. You see, I have a 3 year old who likes to watch Playhouse Disney. My brain cannot be f-disked so there are cells that I should be able to use for useful information but cannot since they have now been written with the names of all four Wiggles (Anthony, Murray, Jeff, and Greg), the preferred swear word of the Higglytown kids (oh, pickles), and the moral of the story song from Jo-Jo's Circus (hey Jo-jo whadday say, we all want to know what you learned today).

7:55 PM, March 30, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most annoying thing I have lost is an old Russian nuclear ICBM. It's annoying because it was really good for insuring a steady stream of lunch money from the neighborhood children, and also because it made a great conversation piece...
"Hey, is that a nuclear missle in your pocket?"
"Why yes, how did you know?"
...and so on.

8:09 PM, March 30, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the most annoying thing I have lost is my girlfriend

8:10 PM, March 30, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

Wow these are all terrific. This puts my USB cable to shame. Particularly that last one. Sorry bud. But then... losing all my brain cells to children's television is one of my most terrifying nightmares, and THE worst nightmare I have is when Joe obtains an ICBM, that's Russian (less effective launch systems encryption) and old. It makes me want to never stray more than 20 km from Joe. And then he loses it... this relieves some of the tension, but not much, because he might just find it again.

9:53 PM, March 30, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....truthfully, I must add keys the list of things that disappear into the ether then reappear again....I had a good story of something i lost, but i can't remember it....also, interestingly enough, if one jumps of the south end of the Time-Life tower in Montreal (formerly the tallest edifice, though no longer) one will end up landing in 19th century Montreal. This is actually a true folk tale that I learned today...wierd....

11:47 PM, March 30, 2006

 
Blogger jenn said...

Hmmmmm... Steve- they made a cheesy movie about that phenomenon and the Brooklyn Bridge... interesting...

You're quite right, Graham- Sock Goblins do exist... mine is called Morty and he has absconded with at least three good socks in the last two months... See my blog for exact specifications on the living environment of the average Sock Goblin (January's archives)...

Another hypothesis would be the one proffered in "Harry Potter"- there is a charm put on the 'disappeared' items that causes them to shrink, and then grow again... making us suspect that we've truly gone insane.

As for annoying losses, earrings are way up there... especially since you never lose BOTH earrings- only one, thus rendering the other half of the pair useless... I have a little box filled with partnerless earrings just waiting for some trend to make it acceptable to wear just one, or a mismatched pair...

The other thing that would be heart-rendingly annoying to lose would be one's cellphone, datebook, or palmpilot. I think the reasons for this being annoying (and heart-rendingly so)are obvious, especially for a person such as yourself ;)

9:41 AM, March 31, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was surfing the net loking for some ski jumping events and I came upon your site and I was impressed by the quality of content you have. Keep up the awesome job. I will be bookmarking you right now.

10:26 PM, September 07, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home