I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

good times

Saw the Trailer Park Boys movie on Friday night. It was, as expected, hilarious. I haven't decided yet if it was more like one long episode or one short season, but either way it was terrific. I recommend you see it, if you are even remotely a TPB fan.

Then Saturday. Saturday night is usually seen as a night to go to bars/clubs, worry about your appearance, and try to pick up by dancing badly to intolerably loud pounding beats. Despite the possibility, however slim, of successfully picking up, this is not my favourite scene, since I don't like to be in the same place as all the insecure posers who are attempting to woo the ditzy 17 year olds populating the premises. Last night, however, was a different sort of Saturday night. A true "man's night". There were only four of us, but there was also, in no particular order:
1) Beer, and other "drinks of a refreshing nature"
2) Cigars
3) Poker
4) Hockey
5) $60 worth of KFC Chicken

You cannot go wrong with that much chicken.

I'm in facebook now, with a nice display of photos from the Monashees over two summers of digital photography there. Funny how people here and there from my past and present found me within one day of signing up, on a Saturday.

Today I went golfing for the first time ever. I'd been to a driving range once before, when I was about 12, and was probably worse today. I had a couple of decent shots towards the end, when I started to understand that swinging harder generally causes crappy shots, and also that I was lifting back when I swung. Also I only lost 4 balls over 9 holes, so that was good (my excuse: leaves are everywhere and it was easy to lose 'em).

I can totally see how it's addictive, and even feel a little tempted to head to a driving range to practice the swing. The other guys weren't too much better than me, so it wasn't terrible. Will, ostensibly the best of us, hit a house. I hit four trees, chopping branches off three of them. Andrew lost more balls than me. Rich had a pretty good day, with few major catastrophes, but Will still won in the end. I didn't keep score, being around 7 or 8 hits a hole.

In other news, down in the States they're in mid-term elections and things are getting a bit, errr, heated. This TV ad is for Republican candidate Vernon Robinson, and is not intended as a joke. Frankly it's disturbing.

Photo contest returns next time, I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home