I have fun by looking at rocks. No really... I'm doing my masters on them. But no soft-sediment crap. That's scum hiding the good stuff. In Calgary since Jan 4, 2006. I am now 92.4% closer to the mountains I love.

Monday, April 10, 2006

This is part of why 30.6% of Americans are obese. They eat donut sandwiches. Mind you that does sound pretty freakin' tasty...

I busted my bike yesterday in the park, well just the transmission system. I was most of the way through the park, about 5 km from home, when the bottom bracket went. That's the bearing system that supports the main crankset axle. It started creaking as I was climbing the hill (a long and arduous process) and finally, as I was trying to race across the dips and hills of the glacial deposits up top, the bearings disintegrated. I know this because the axle suddenly lost all solidity and wobbled inward on my downward pedal with my right foot, causing my foot to snap off the pedal and onto the ground, with a lot of force behind it. This resulted in a twisted knee. It's not too bad, I don't limp or anything, I just really feel it going up or down stairs. The worst part was, of course, getting home. My bike was immediately turned into a rather large and expensive scooter, with decent brakes and front shocks. I had to walk it up the hills, and scoot along straights (right foot on left pedal, push with left foot). This was not made any easier by the dislocated crankset axle, causing the pedals to be ridiculously wobbly. Thankfully much of the trip was down the hill, for which I could simply sit on the bike normally and coast. My complete inventory of tools for fixing my bike is:
1 Mole Wrench (aka Vice Grips for you non-Brits)
1 Set of 20 Alan keys (aka Hex Wrenches for the same)
1 Multi-bit Screwdriver (not useful for bike repairs)

I do not have the necessary equipment for removing pedals or extracting and replacing the bottom bracket, thus I must hence (scoot) to the nearest bike shop. To be done tomorrow. It's not a big deal, I was planning to replace some other transmission components anyway (the main cog rings have seriously worn teeth, and it needs a new chain), and some of the cables.

Okay, now that you're all up to date on Grum's bike, you can go back to whatever else it is (if anything) that you find remotely as interesting.

Cheers!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me be the first of many to respond by saying the idea of a donut sandwich is fantastic and delicious

Also, to bad about the bike...you must ride it pretty hard to keep breaking it

cheerio

3:49 PM, April 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All praise to Grum, breaker of bikes, fixer of nothing. Now then, what I would like to know is: what frame size is your bike? Yes, I know this has nothing to do with the bottom bracket. I'm just curious. George

3:58 PM, April 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, btw Grum and Steve, Dave (from England) says hi. I ran into him at McConnell today. He was getting ready for a World War II exam. I'm not sure if that's what reminded him of you or not...

4:06 PM, April 10, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

S: mmmmmmmmmmm... donut sandwiches... aauauuauuauuaughhghahghghh

CG: I think it's 21". Or 22". One of those. Regarding my handyman abilities: I am the fixer of the clavinova, back home. Nobody else understands its intricate inner workings as I do. I was also the fixer of the computer, but my apprentice Adam is apparently doing quite well in my stead.

4:07 PM, April 10, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$900???!!!! drinks are on anonymous!....come on buddy, share the wealth!

6:12 PM, April 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are these annoymous idiots? Is anybody stupid enough, in this day and age, to belive that they will earn money by following links posted by annoymous people on random blogs (or emails, or the classifieds)???

Where's the fun in $900 a month, anyway? Even if you only support yourself, you're not going to be buying a Porsche with that kind of money, unless you live in a shoe and eat cardboard for 27 years.

Why don't we all just search for jobs we enjoy, instead of looking for the stupidly easy way out? For those who don't know, you will not find these jobs through 'make extra money' ads, unless you are trying to learn how to enjoy being a terrible con artist. You people disgust me.
-J

7:34 PM, April 11, 2006

 
Blogger Grumball said...

Beautifully put.
Kudos to hoph!

9:59 PM, April 11, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home